& dog daycares throughout the USA."> Locate pet sitters, dog walkers, dog runners, & dog daycares throughout the USA.

Lucy Goo: A rescue dog success story

by Nicole Bruder on May 8, 2012

in Dogs, Pets

rescue pets can be wonderful companionsIn 2002, I made the decision to adopt a dog.  I was already so happy with my rescued cat, Zacky, that I wanted to expand my little ‘family’.  I remembered how fun it was playing with my dogs growing up…walking, biking, and sledding with them was awesome! (I obviously didn’t grow up in Texas!)  My dogs were my best friends. My Lucy Goo is no exception.

I’m a firm believer in animal rescues, the SPCA, the Humane Society, and especially no kill shelters, like Friends for Life.  So, when the time came for me to get a dog, I put myself on some rescue lists, and visited the SPCA…It was there that I found my Lucy.

According to the SPCA, Lucy was between 6-12 months old, and a ‘terrier mix’. (I personally think Lucy looks kind of like a Golden Doodle and a terrier, so I call her my ‘Goldendoodlerrier’.)  Whatever Lucy was, though, didn’t matter..she melted my heart the instant I met her; she was my canine soul mate.

Lucy had been a neglected dog, and was skittish of certain things, such as loud noises and sudden movements.  She was extremely skinny, had fur missing, and the fur that was there was terribly matted. She was a colossal mess. But that didn’t stop me from falling in love with her the minute I saw her. The energy that Lucy put out was amazingly sweet; she was one of the most awesome dogs I had the honor of meeting and I knew I just had to be her mommy!  However, the SPCA had not spayed her yet, so I was instructed to pick her up the next day.  I went home Lucyless, and extremely eager for the next 24 hours to pass.

That afternoon, I received a phone call from the SPCA. They did blood work on her which is mandatory before performing the surgery, and found that she had heart worms. They told me that they would normally euthanize a dog under these circumstances, however, since I had already adopted Lucy, they could not do anything without my permission.  The woman I spoke with on the phone tried to persuade me to have Lucy put down.  She said that it would be the best thing to do.  My response to this was a resounding ‘NO’!  I told her to go ahead with the surgery; I would pick Lucy up afterwards, and find a solution.

The next morning I got on the phone and called my vet. Then, I called the vets my parents use for their pets, and, for good measure, I called the vet a friend of mine uses. All of them gave me the same answer…there was no reason to put Lucy down. Lucy’s heart worms would indeed be treatable, and she would be cured.  I remember sitting on the edge of my bed, crying with relief.

When I finally picked Lucy up, her eyes were glowing, and it looked like she was smiling at me; I felt so blessed. I took her home, let her spend some days resting and recovering from the surgery, then we were off to the vet to start up her treatments.  The treatments were hard on her, but her spirits were always so high.  Then, after some time, Lucy’s fur started growing back in full and glossy, and she started gaining weight. She looked like a whole new healthy, fluffy dog!  And now, Lucy has been heart worm free since 2002!  We’ve had so many great adventures together…from our walks by the bayou, to our boating adventures and road trips. Lucy is such a special part of my life, I decided to name my business after her…my ‘Lucy Goosey’…my ‘Lucy Goo’.

I hope you can use this true story as an inspiration.  If you decide that you’d like a pet, please try going the rescue route, and adopt one.  And remember, the puppies and kittens are the first to be chosen. Take a walk over to the section where the full grown dogs and cats are kept.  They may seem skittish at first, but all they need is love. Once they are given the love and attention they so desperately need and deserve, you’ll not only have a friend, but a new family member. You can save a pet’s life…one just like Lucy Goo.

For those of you who have rescued a pet, what’s your pet’s story?

Nicole Bruder is the owner of Lucy Goo Pet Sitting in Houston, Texas.

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

Nancy May 10, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I was blessed to be able to rescue a beautiful mini American Eskimo who was rescued from a southern Mn farm. She spent the first 4 yrs of her life producing puppies in a small wire cage with 98 other dogs in a dark barn with no heat or air movement. The cages were stacked on top of each other, so Jasmine was yellow from urine. Before we found her at Tri County Humane Society in St. Cloud, MN, she had been returned from at least 2 experienced foster homes and had been through at least 2 other humane societies. She was terrified of people, pressed back as far as she could in her kennel as stiff as a board.
Long story short, it took 1 1/2 years to be able to pet her and now at 3 yrs, she comes when she is called and walks on a leash (as long as no-one holds on to the other end…if we need to keep her safe, we can just step on the leash and she sits down). She has made so much progress in the tiniest of baby steps, but she is such a happy girl with 1/2 acre of yard to run & chase her bff, a rescued Chow/Husky mix in. She also has two rescued kitties in her pack and comes in and out of the house anytime she wants through a doggy door. She is loving life!


Lorene January 20, 2013 at 3:13 am

Within a week of moving back to NYC from going to school in Oregon my live-in boyfriend of 15 years dumped me, explaining he had “no time” for a girlfriend anymore. These days, of course, that phrase seems to me more than a little ironic, as it turns out to be the number one excuse pet owners use when dumping their pets at kill shelters. “No time.”
I spent the next two months in my room grieving and trying to acclimate to living back in NYC at the same time, (not an easy task) until I realized one day I could finally adopt a dog. For years I had worked too many hours to have one, and when I eventually wasn’t working twelve hours a day, every time I had brought the dog subject up, my boyfriend had vetoed the idea.
But I realized that that deterrent was gone, and I obsessively began perusing the pet adoption sites online, until after a couple of months I saw her picture, at last. She was sitting on a cold, metal vet’s examination table, a blue rubber gloved hand holding her under the chin to raise her head up for the photo, and she had the saddest, most fearful, look on her poor little face. I quickly read what the rescue had written about her, which wasn’t much. She was around two years old, she had been used for breeding, then had been dropped off at the local pound (code for kill shelter). I contacted the rescue and offered to foster her, filled out the foster application and within the week she was at my door. With her charming overbite and jowly little mug she looked like a “Molly,” and so was renamed.
The first few months I worked hard to overcome Molly’s fear of our great, big backyard that is NYC. She would slink against its walls and try to run into every single doorway-and believe me, that’s a LOT of doorways! Every noise spooked her, and she is still terrified of thunderstorms. She refused to eat out of her food bowl for weeks, preferring to nose the kibbles onto the floor before eating them. I realized it must have been the way she had been fed in her backyard pen, they just threw the kibbles on the floor of her kennel. She was probably lucky to have been fed at all.

Molly is a medium sized dog, and at first she had problems being around any other dogs, no matter how small. She was very defensive towards other dogs and appeared to consider an air-snap offense, when approached by a dog on the street, as her best defense. So, little by little I introduced small dogs to Molly by boarding them, one at a time, (never leaving them alone together, of course) until she slowly became acclimated to being around them, and eventually just appeared to resign herself to their presence for, what appeared to be, my sake. Until little Rita moved in, Molly mostly avoided the other dog’s space.
I too was becoming resigned to what I saw as the inevitability of poor Molly never enjoying any dog friends, until the day I got a wonderful new roommate, Tania, who just happened to have a sweet little alpha Chi mix, named Rita. Rita taught Molly how to play. It took several weeks of Rita’s relentless goading, but one day Molly simply couldn’t hold out any longer, and she finally started pawing Rita back! I have to say, watching fifty pound Molly play joyfully with sixteen pound Rita for the first time was one of the best moments of my life. At last, Molly was able to trust another dog enough to play with them, and I was so happy for her, because I could see just how happy it made her.

A year later, Molly even plays with medium sized dogs, some who are even taller than she is, which is incredible considering her former terror of dogs in general, and larger dogs in particular. I doubt if Molly will ever be a dog park girl, but I at least wanted her to be able to enjoy the company of other dogs on some level. If it has to always be one on one, with slow introductions, so be it.

On the whole, Molly has grown into a happy, confident dog on the street, who is always ready for walks in the park, and games of -chew on the ball for a while before Mommy pries it out of her mouth and throws it again- (hey, no one’s perfect). Once in a while we’ll have one of Molly’s canine play friends come over, and Molly girl now even eats her kibble out of a bowl.
Molly’s been with me for two years now, in fact she’s right next to me as I write this, snoring peacefully on HER couch, which she graciously deigns to share with me, most of the time. We’re in it for the long haul, me and Moll-Moll, and we will always have PLENTY of time for each other, because that’s what love is.


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: