& dog daycares throughout the USA."> Locate pet sitters, dog walkers, dog runners, & dog daycares throughout the USA.

Comments on pet foods NOT on recall list (page 3)

by Therese on April 2, 2007

in Pet Food Recall, Pet Health, Pets

** For a list of pet foods NOT on the recall list, see this post **

This is page 3 of comments on the pet food recall.

Return to the list of foods NOT on the recall list
Go to page 2 of comments

UPDATE: As many of you know this thread was closed to comments for a short time. It was closed due to extremely insulting, rude, and uncalled for attacks on each other. Unfortunately even after being asked privately not to behave in such a manner, the behavior continued leaving us no choice but to close the thread for a while. I’ve had numerous requests to open the thread back up, which I’m doing but I ask you all to please remember that we are all here because we love our pets. Attacking each other has no place here!
Not everyone will have the same opinions, facts or attitudes but that is no reason to bash each other. If you feel you can’t handle someone’s ignorance or arrogance, rather than lashing out in public, walk away from the computer. This is meant to be a supportive atmosphere for all. I ask you to remember this as you post your comments.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

{ 50 comments }

Davis April 2, 2007 at 7:40 pm

If there is a way the Therese can remove or delete Jenna’s messages from now on, then this place would be much more welcomng and we wouldn’t lose good people. I agree with him/her that a kibble diet is not a good things for cats, but some human decency in is order, otherwise that person should not be allowed on a forum where we should all support each other, even if we disagree. There are respectful ways to disagree.

Now…..on to more important matters…..

The news reported that the purchase of the glutne was Menu’s purchase. Maybe Wellness purchases their own ingredients, but we don’t know that all of the companies do that. And we don’t really know that Wellness does either….only that they say they do. All the companies are running scared right now, so they are not necessarily going to tell the truth.

Ingredient lists are often flawed. I think that everyone here is concerned about that possibility with this gluten, as mentioned on page 2. Many of the concerns people have are not unfounded, as there is already “evidence” of such occurrences. Just check the FDA’s website (below) for confirmation regarding the numerous recalls that have occurred because ingredients contained in foods were not listed on the label.

Here is a piece of information for those of you who are fond of BLUE BUFFALO:

“Correction: menadione in Blue Buffalo dog food products
Admin | March 30, 2007 1:50 pm

In a news update from 10/12/06 (which has been removed from the News Archive as of today), I posted that menadione had been removed from Blue Buffalo dog food products labeled with a “Best used by” date of October 07 and thereafter.

Unfortunately this information appears to be incorrect, and menadione is apparently still present in at least some, if not all of Blue Buffalo’s dry and canned dog and cat foods, as well as “health bar” biscuits.

I keep hearing from people who called Blue Buffalo customer service to ask about menadione, telling me that the representative claimed they were “required by law” to include it, which is simply not true. Menadione also still appears on ingredient lists throughout Blue Buffalo’s website and on product packaging.

In the copy of the official AAFCO publication I have here on my desk, no mandated minimum requirement of vitamin K is listed for any dog food products at all [1]. There is a conditional minimum of 0.1 milligram per kilogram dry matter basis [2] in fish-based cat foods, but of course it does not mandate that a menadione compound must be used. Many other pet food companies rely on naturally vitamin K rich food ingredients or a natural vitamin K supplement, for example the kind that is used to fortify human baby food.

[1] see official AAFCO Publication, table on page 133 and text on page 136, first paragraph
[2] see official AAFCO Publication, table on page 138 and text on page 140, first paragraph

If you are concerned about menadione in your dog’s diet, it’s probably best to avoid these Blue Buffalo products as long as you still see either menadione in any form or “vitamin K supplement” listed on the label.”
Source: http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

Joeline April 2, 2007 at 7:50 pm

I’ve just read every post on this blog. So here are a few responses. Tacki’s friend mentioned that she had been eating Pounce… which has been included in the recall just recently.
But my main response is to Evy… I do understand that ground corn is a nutritious food but she’s wrong about allergies. Some breeds are more sensitive to corn than others and I own Schipperkes who, believe me, are sensitive to the stuff. I, and other Schip people have determined this by trial and error adding and subtracting foods until we got a solid result.
For breeds who are sensitive to it corn can set them up for autoimmune problems, we’ve seen a lot of this. Corn cannot be blanket condemned but for some breeds it is definitely not something to feed. So we avoid it.
If not for that I’d try Evy’s dog food, but I won’t risk my Schips that way.
We lost our cat, Tuxx, to the recalled cat food… fortunately, our dogs foods were not recalled but we have had bad experiences just recently with Nutro Max dry.. two different types, both lamb and rice styles… and some of their wet foods too. We’ve used it for years but had to move off of it when one of our dogs began barfing her head off every time she ate it.
We switched to cooking for the kids… something we have done in the past with good results. We will continue to cook and also research for a dry food we feel safe with.. Truthfully we have never given much canned food.. maybe a half-tablespoon stirred in to add temptation. But it was clearly the Nutro-Max that was causing the problem. A telephone inquiry to Nutro to ask if they had changed the formula in their dry food at first elicited a NO… then the person we talked to said “all we have done is add safflower oil…. duh.. no change? Ticked me off so we threw out all the Nutro stuff and replaced it. Then came this recall…
At the moment I’d simply not feed anything that contains gluten, wheat OR corn.. mainly because we do not know where this stuff is coming from and every company I googled in China who produces wheat gluten also produces corn gluten. I spent 18 hours checking Chinese sites.
Also, the company that provided the tainted wheat gluten in China has said that they did not PRODUCE the product but bought it from another source (s) . We do not know that those source(s) did not also sell to other suppliers in China. Nope, no Chinese in our household… we don’t knowingly buy Chinese!!!
I also did not find any Chinese companies who advertised to sell food-grade wheat gluten… all of it was feed-grade and from the supplier’s website I did not see ANY food-grade gluten for sale. So, I don’t think the stuff was actually food grade even if they say it was.

Joeline April 2, 2007 at 7:57 pm

As an addendum. I’m boycotting Menu Products for a different reason. I suspect that any product produced there that does not contain gluten probably is safe BUT… When they finally got around to seeing if their food really was contaminated, after many pet deaths, they first tested the suspect foods on their OWN taste-tst animals and killed 17 of them.
Unforgiveable for me. They could have gone directly to laboratory testing and made the same determination without killing off those innocent animals so they are persona non grata in my book.

Homer April 2, 2007 at 8:00 pm

To Joeline,

On page 2 of this blog, Blissa provided some information about Pro Pac. I haven’t checked them out myself, but Blissa’s info provided a good lead which I appreciate.

I will try to contact them tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Kat April 2, 2007 at 8:18 pm

Hi, first of all I’ve read all the post over the last two days.
It’s a shame in a crisis like this people have to be fighing and name calling.It’s sad enough.
Why would any one think about our beloved pets they don’t even think about people.
I been feeding dry puppy nutro max for last 2 weeks befor that I was feeding eunakanbua small bites puppy. Are these two safe? Some of the food on the list I never heard of out alone seen it in the pet stores.
I just want some thing made here that is safe to use.
My prayers and thoughts are with the ones who has lost there beloved friends and for those who might.It’s heartbreaking sad .
This should not be happining in or country ,but it and a lot of other things are. Our rights our freedom and don’t forget all the sick people and ones that have died on human food recalls lately.?? umm??
I have chihuahuas I want to know what is Safe for them not the fighting.
Also does any one know the effects on a bred female or her offspring?
Just like humans some can die some can be really sick and some a little sick.
I know It happin to me and beleive me the ones who sues won’t get crapt.Because the companys will just give enough to try and smooth you, They won’t let there company go broke or down.Especially if your so sick and never been threw any thing like this and know nothing about courts and lawyers.
They want the money and who cares about you or your pets now.
What we need you fine people is to keep us up to date as soon as information comes in.

Therese April 2, 2007 at 8:48 pm

We were hoping we would not have to resort to this, but we have made the decision to temporarily close the comment portion of this thread. Earlier I posted a message asking people to be respectful and civil to each other. Some of you have even been emailed privately to ask that you stop the the harsh language, but this has not happened. We regret that we have to this, we were hoping for a supportive forum for those affected by the issue, and the continued abuse has no place on this blog.

Therese April 3, 2007 at 3:02 pm

Moved from another thread…

Danielle said,

Re: Wellness
To anyone following my continuing saga to get answers from Wellness (OMH), here is today’s installment. I sent the following e-mail yesterday, after my husband called and was told their dry food was made at their own facilitites in PA and Ontario, with some of their canned made by Menu in NJ:

“Can you tell me specifically which of your products are made at Menu Foods? Is your 95% meat line made there? Where is your dry food made?
I would like to continue using at least some of your products, but I do not feel comfortable supporting Menu in any way, shape or form due to their animal testing procedures and poor handling of this recall.

I have to tell you, that in researching this recall, on many forums and blogs pet owners are disgusted with the answers we are receiving from pet food companies, OMH included. It feels like there is less than complete honesty and more “spin” coming out. This is why I am asking direct questions about which products are made at Menu. If I cannot get an honest answer, I will switch foods for my three dogs.”

And their response this morning:
“A portion of our canned foods are made at a Menu facility, however, this facility is not involved in the recall. You must also know that Menu does not purchase our ingredients, we do.

Our dry foods are made at a company in Oklahoma. ”

COMPLETELY NON-RESPONSIVE AND CONTRADICTORY! I am done with this company. Clearly they are hiding something or incompetent, in either case I don’t want to rely on them for my dogs’ lives.

I am probably going with Canidae Platinum as recommended on here and validated by my vet. (Does anybody know specifics on where their canned and dry foods are made?)

TARA April 3, 2007 at 3:22 pm

HI EVERYONE I HAVE HAD HORRIBLE EXPERIENCES WITH MEOWMIX.MY SISTER’S CAT WAS ON THIS AND DIED OF CANCER,AND SHE WAS THROWING UP.MY CAT WAS ON THIS AND SHE STARTED THROWING IT UP AND IT WAS THE COLOR OF THE FOOD.I SWITCHED HER TO ANOTHER BRAND AND THE THROWING UP CEASED.MY FRIEND SAME THING HAPPENED TO HER.I WOULD LIKE THEM TO ADD THIS TO THEIR LISTS.ALSO GREENIES FRESH TEETH BONES ARE HORRIBLE.THEY DON’T GET DIGESTED IN THE INTESTINES AND THEY CLOG IT UP AND THEN THE VET.HAS TO SURGICALLY REMOVE THE PIECE THAT WASN’T PROPERLY EATE.THIS TOO SHOULD BE ADDED.IT IS ASHAME THAT WE HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT SUCH THINGS FROM THESE COMPANIES WHO ARE IN IT FOR THE MONEY.ALSO IAMS IS ANOTHER HORRIBLE PRODUCT.I WENT TO A WEBSITE AND THEY SHOWED HORRIBLE PICTURES OF ANIMALS THAT THEY DID TESTING ON FOR THEIR FOODS TO BE GIVEN TO OURS.THE LIVING CONDITIONS FOR THEM WERE NOTORIOUS AND AWFUL.MINE USED TO BE ON THIS NO MORE.I WAS USING SCIENCE DIET AND SWITCHED TO NUTRO.I HOPE I DON’T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THIS NOW.FROM A VERY LOVING AND DEVOTED PET OWNER-TARA PS.I HAVE 3 DOGS,8 CATS/KITTENS,A GUINEA PIG,AND A RABBIT.

Sharon L April 3, 2007 at 3:58 pm

What does ash actually mean? As long as I’m switching foods I wanted to use a completely non-grain dry food, and Evo Dry Feline, Orijen, and Wellness Core are possible candidates, but the ash content is much higher than other brands. I have always heard that ash contributed to urinary tract issues … Is this something that I should be concerned about? I have three male indoor cats on a mixed wet/dry regime.

Thanks.

DB April 3, 2007 at 4:02 pm

Either on page 2 or 3, someone (sorry, can’t remember your name) was looking for canned food available in remote areas. If you find a food on this list that you’d like to try, a lot of the premium companies will do direct sales from the web in an effort to get their food to places that don’t have retail outlets. There also a few companies that make dehydrated or ingredients that you mix with meat – I’ve never tried them for my cats, but have used them for my dogs (so I am not sure if they are cat-friendly). Likewise, if you can’t find a canned diet for your cat, but you don’t want to feed dry or make your own food, you might try a frozen food. Shipping can be tricky, but if you have a good sized freezer it can work. It can also be tricky getting an older cat with decided food preferences to change. I have had success with my 15 year old, mixing thawed frozen raw (there’s a mouthful) with her dry kibble to expand her tolerances.

As you are looking at ingredients, you could check out The Dog Food Project (forums.dogfoodproject.com) to make your leg work easier. Granted it won’t help you with cat food but it could give you a start. I don’t think there’s a similar site for cats. You could use the dog food ingredients to narrow down websites you want to check on for your cats.

Donna April 3, 2007 at 5:04 pm

I’ve decided to give my cats food from Merrick, Blue Buffalo, and Felidae – three companies I had never even heard of before. I am so greatful to everyone here for their input. This seemed such an overwhelming thing to cope with, not knowing what to feed my babies. I am greatful to Therese and all the posters here. I have learned a lot in the past few days. Thank you to you all.

EchoBarney April 3, 2007 at 5:05 pm

I give my 2 dogs C.E.T. Dental Rewards and notice that the first ingredient on the list is Wheat Gluten. I phoned, and emailed the company, who were “dismissive” about my inquiry. They did not disclose the origin of their wheat gluten, only to say they do not do any business with “menu foods”. I have quit giving anything containing “wheat gluten”, as suggested on posts at dogaware.com.

Homer April 3, 2007 at 5:16 pm

My sister knows a vet, Dr. John B. Symes, who’s been talking about pet food danger for years. Here’s his website:

Lots of good info for pets and people.

anna samuel April 3, 2007 at 5:24 pm

Hi Everyone, I too have been doing much research into pet food companies and their practices as of recent. What a wake up call. I’m appauled, shocked, and disgusted at the laboratory testing of companies such as ‘Iams.’

These companies will only change their practices, ingrediants, conditions if we stop buying their products until something is done. Perhaps the pets that got sick and passed away did not do so in vain, perhaps we can all make a difference by writing, demanding, and boycotting….its inconvenient and costly but that is the only thing they will understand–loss of $$

pauln April 3, 2007 at 5:52 pm

One summer we read a book entitled “Smarter Than You Think” and from that day forward we began to cook for our dogs (supplemented in part by one dry dog food that is produced in this country from ingredients from this country. The bigger issue is that we have become too reliant on foreign goods where precautions, laws and even values are far different from our own. Over one year ago I stopped buying any products from China – a challenge, yes, but not impossible. Tired of one horrific story after another about animal abuse for the sake of profit, I simply stopped contributing to that society. Does it cost me more in terms of dollars? Of course, but shouldn’t my actions support my values? Here we are today and the source of the poisoned wheat is – yes, China! This will all come to a grinding halt once the contamination reaches human food and after reading some articles tonight it has, what a suprise, reached that point. I guess we need to press our elected officials to require not only ingredients on everything but also their source – their real source.

Geff April 3, 2007 at 8:14 pm

To Therese, thanks again for the list, it’s the single best resource I’ve found.

Now for my good news, my darling Sylvester tested 100% healthy, no signs of renal failure at all. His vet believes that the problems we’ve seen while trying various foods come from a fish allergy. He’s currently doing well on Gerber’s Stage 2 Baby food (Baby food has got to be the safest of all foods out there, can you imagine the outcry from middle America if human babies started having food based kidney failure??)

His vet wants me to try Felidae Chicken & Rice along with the baby food starting Thurday. She’d really like him to try a rabbit based food (she also suspects a Chicken allergy) , but she currently feels that all wet foods are suspect & I can’t find any dry food that’s rabbit based.

annie April 3, 2007 at 9:16 pm

Hi Pauln,

I am curious, could you say what dry food you use to supplement your homemade food. Thank you so much

Mary Kelley April 3, 2007 at 9:26 pm

That is great news, Geff! It is comforting to hear some happy stories on this site. Thank you Therese, for giving us our link to sanity back.
My 3 cats survived all last week on Innova wet and dry, plus some Gerber baby food and canned fish. Then last night I switched to Felidea wet and dry. I am still nervous about feeding them new commercial products. I have been monitoring their urine. Then this AM was spent making an all-organic version of a recipe I found at:

This was chicken, rice and veggie stew. The neat thing (if you aren’t a vegetarian, which I am) is that you can make some of these recipes for yourself and your family and share with the cats. Unfortunately after my hard work, they turned their noses up at it and begged for more dry. It smelled delicious! I would appreciate hearing how others are getting along with their new choices from our “Foods Not Recalled” list. Also how are others getting along trying to cook for their cats? I haven’t worked up the nerve to try raw foods for them yet. Cheers, Mary

Mary Kelley April 3, 2007 at 9:33 pm

That’s great news, Geff. I just started Felidae last PM, wet and dry. I cooked my 3 cats a meal, all organic, today, which they snubbed. They survived all last week on Innova wet and dry. I hate trying new commercial products on them, and am monitoring their urine. So far, so good. How are others faring in trying foods from our list, or cooking? I haven’t the nerve to do raw, yet. Thank you Therese, for giving us our link to sanity back!

Homer April 3, 2007 at 9:36 pm

In just a few minutes, The Anderson Cooper show on CNN will run an article about the pet food recall.

Karen April 3, 2007 at 10:09 pm

Hello all and thank you for your comments and information. I have been following this very closely as I have kittens, a 5 month old and 6 month old who I adopted in January at the height of this problem. They are both very picky eaters. I am having the same problem with new foods. They eat voraciously the first time and I go buy more, the next time they turn up their noses. Same thing with canned chicken, tuna, and turkey.They will not eat tuna at all. They do like Fancy Feast occasionally the supreme version turkey florentine but I am not sure of the quality of that food. I will never buy food from any company who does business with Menu. I used to buy Newmans, but will not buy that in the future. The cats don’t like it much anyway. Same for Wellness. I had been feeding them almost exclusively Sophistacat Turkey Kitten Formula since January. I will not feed it ever again since it is produced by Menu. They will occasionally eat Pet Promise. I do not think it is made by Menu in any way. However they really don’t like it either!! They do like the Whiskas Temptations dry milk flavor and some of the turkey flavor. Is this safe? I appreciate all information. Thank you. Karen

Lisa April 4, 2007 at 5:05 am

Starts to make you wonder where all the recalled stuff is going to end up? Pig food??? or where???

pamela carlock April 4, 2007 at 5:44 am

How about Inovo dog food ?

Tanks Mom April 4, 2007 at 7:14 am

Homer you are absolutely correct: Anderson Cooper did do coverage on it, But I missed it. Anyone interested can go to the website and read the transcripts at:

He certainly has exposed it!

Nette April 4, 2007 at 7:51 am

Here is the trail:
Contaminated Wheat Gluten came from Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development Co. in Wangdien, China.

Total quantity of wheat gluten shipped was 792 metric tons, imported
by ChemNutra, Inc., Las Vegas, Nevada, Sally Miller, President,
Stephen Miller, CEO http://www.chemnutra.com

ChemNutra shipped from its Kansas City Warehouse to 3 petfood makers
and a single distributor who in turn supplies the pet food industry,
from November 9, 2006 and ended march 8, 2007, but they refuse to
tell who they distributed to. MenuFoods seems to be the only one
that the public is allowed to know about. WHO ARE THE OTHER 2 PETFOOD MAKERS AND THE 1 DISTRIBUTOR THAT GOT THE CONTAMINATED WHEAT GLUTEN AS WELL????

I’ve been researching for days now trying to find out who these other
manufacturers are and might have found a lead

Three major companies are Doane Pet Care, Diamond, and Menu
Foods. Recently Doane Pet Care was bought out by Mars, Inc.
(MasterFoods USA).

Doane Pet Care Enterprises manufactures dry pet food under 350 store
brands including Maxximum nutrition, Special Kitty, Sportsman’s
Choice, Kirkland Signature, Pathmark, Ol Roy, etc. They didn’t list
all the brands unfortunately.

We know some of the brands manufactured by MenuFoods.. they are on
the recall list. 😉

In petsitusa blog: http://petsitusa.com/blog/?p=210 lists
companies who verify they do not use MenuFoods, but they could have used the other 2 *mystery producers* or gotten a supply from the 1 mystery distributor that sells to the pet food industry. There are more players in this than MenuFoods.

There is still information that is being hidden, we have the right to know who these other mystery producers and distributor are. This is more widespread than the average consumer thinks.

Mary Kelley April 4, 2007 at 9:19 am

Nette, WoW, Good footwork! I have suspected all along that there were other companies involved. PETA also thinks so, so I check their website every day. This is so unfair. Especially when FDA reports only “15 confirmed deaths” and Petconnection says over 9,000 reports! I hope folks who have had recent deaths and illness will report to this blog, at least. Then also Pet connection and Peta. Unfortunately, once folks start dealing with grief, they forget about the blog. What else can we do? I am willing to help. Any other ideas out there? Thank you, Mary

Mary Kelley April 4, 2007 at 9:30 am

Addendum: I received a document in my e-mail last pm from a friend that is named “ChemNutra Announces Nationwide Wheat Gluten Recall” and is from The Blaine Group, Inc. of Beverly Hills. I have forwarded it to Therese, and it has the exact same information that Nette has given us. Hopefully Therese can print it out here for us all.

Lisa April 4, 2007 at 10:04 am

but i wanna know where all the recalled stuff is going to be dumped?

Homer April 4, 2007 at 10:57 am

To Lisa,

You might call Chem Nutra at 702 799-9800 and ask them where their recalled gluten will go. They’re located in Las Vegas. Here’s a link to their website:

Also, CNN is about to run a piece about the pet food recall and the related issue of food poisoning issues in China.

More later.

Betty April 4, 2007 at 12:22 pm

I’ve been reading all your messages, and doing some research for my two 13 year old Shelties that I rescued 5 yrs ago. I have two (unopened) bags of Ultra Max, one for Seniors the other Light, that I just purchased. I’ve been feeding these for the last 4 months but now I’m worried. I have found that Solid Gold has a fish-based holistic dry food listing the following ingredients:

Product Description
——————————————————————————–
New Formula! Dry food formula made with Oatmeal, Barley, Ocean Fish, and Potatoes. Ideal for less active adult or senior dogs, to maintain total health. Perfect for those dogs who require less protein and fat.

Protein, Min 18%
Fat, Min 6%
Fiber, Max 4%
Moisture, Max 10%
Calories per cup, 336

Ingredients
——————————————————————————–
Oatmeal | Cracked Pearled Barley | Millet | Ocean Fish | Potatoes | Canola Oil | Tomato Pomace | Flaxseed | Natural Flavor | Salmon Oil (source of DHA) | Choline Chloride | Taurine | Dried Chicory Root | Amaranth | Parsley Flakes | Spearmint | Almond Oil | Sesame Oil | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Kelp | Thyme | Blueberries | Cranberries | Apples | Lentils | Quinoa | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Ferrous Sulfate | Zinc Sulfate | Copper Sulfate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Manganese Proteinate | Manganous Oxide | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Manganese Sulfate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

Can anyone see any problem with this? I sure hope not as I found a distributor close by and will get a small bag today. My furbabies have been doing just fine and I want them to stay that way! Please email me if you wish. Thanks for all your information here.

Homer April 4, 2007 at 12:48 pm

To Betty,

I’m considering Solid Gold for my cats. I’m no expert, but their ingredients look good to me. Don’t know if they make their own stuff, but no food that I’ve found is perfect.

You might want to contact this Doc and ask him about Solid Gold. He’s very articulate on the issue of pet food and people food. My Sister knows him well and uses him for her horses, dogs and cats.

I’m going to call Solid Gold today and check them out.

Still waiting for that CNN piece!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah Rollins April 4, 2007 at 1:29 pm

Hi Therese, I am hoping you could get an answer from Natural Balance for me. I was stunned to recently find out that fish meal is required by law to have ethoxyquin put in it. So I wrote to find out. This is what I wrote:

> I need to know, is ethoxyquin in your cans of fish food?

A direct question. I didn’t ask if NB added it, I didn’t ask if anyone else did. Just – is it in your cans.

This is the reply I got. It is from “Jennifer” and notice how she tries to twist the entire thing. She may be correct in saying that NB does not use ethoxyquin but she totally ignores the fact that is a law that ethoxyquin MUST be added to fish meal.

>Hello,
>Thank you for contacting Natural Balance and for you interest in our >products. Please know that we do NOT use ethoxyquin in any of our >products. If you could please e-mail me with your mailing address I >would be happy to send you some coupons and a frequent buyer’s card. >Have a great day.

>Sincerely,
>Jennifer Freeman, B.S., R.V.T.
>Animal Nutrition
>Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc.
>800-829-4493

So I wrote her again:

>thank you for your note that you do not use ethoxyquin in any of your >products. Now please answer the question: the fish that you used in >your dog and cat food, does it have ethoxyquin before you get it?

“Jennifer” did not reply. So I was wondering if you could get an answer from her, and even ask why she evaded my initial inquiry, and refused to answer my second request.
Thanks,
Sarah

Sandi S. April 4, 2007 at 2:00 pm

I have been reading the posting and the pet foods NOT on the recall. I think that Eagle Pack needs to be updated: it states that Menu Foods makes their loaf style food. What about their canned items??? Maybe somebody can tell me. I have sent e-mails back and forth with their nutritionist and he is jumping hoops, evading my question to who makes their canned food?? Still waiting for an answer…. the only answer I have received is – our products do not contain wheat gluten and the products are not purchased from China??? Eagle Pack……. will never get my business. WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Judy M April 4, 2007 at 2:35 pm

I was in Kroger last nite. Noticed “Natural Life” removed from shelves, with signs posted of its recall by Kroger. Contaced Natural Life today-rep. said they didn’t know why Kroger had pulled Natural Life. I just got off phone with Kroger. Kroger said they pulled it because Natural Life and Kroger’s brand, Pet Pride, are both made by Menu, and as a precaution, Kroger was pulling every brand made by Menu. “Natural Life” did not tell me this–only would say Natural Life not part of the “Menu” published recall!!! See Kroger.com for info. I, too, could get no answer from PetGuard as to who makes its product. I returned all PetGuard to Whole Foods.

Homer April 4, 2007 at 3:22 pm

Hey ChemNutra,

Did you catch CNN’s video that was shot in China at Xuzhou? That’s the company that supplied your tainted wheat gluten.

Did you see those pallets of wheat gluten sitting near the shed? Did you see those other pallets that were being covered up with plastic.

Did all those bags look the same to you?

Did you know that Xuzhou also supplies wheat gluten to textile and paper making companies? Do you suppose the paper making gluten could have had some chemicals added, chemicals that aren’t healthy for pets?

Do you think the “pet food gluten” and the “paper making gluten” could have been mixed up? Boy, I bet those paper companies will be mad as heck when they find out there’s no melamine in their gluten.

ChemNutra, when was the last time you visited Xuzhou, inspected their facilities and reviewed their QUALITY CONTROL procedures before you put their junk in my dead cat’s food?

ChemNutra, shame on you. And shame on Hill’s and Purina for accepting the gluten without proper quality control assurances.

And don’t blame this on FDA. We already know they’re useless.

ChemNutra, if you’re going to source ingredients from China, for crying out loud, get some procedures in place.

GARBAGE IN – GARBAGE OUT IS NOT A PROPER PROCEDURE

Gary April 4, 2007 at 3:51 pm

Sandi – I believe that Eagle Pack was referring to canned food when they said “loaf-style”. They were referring to the solid clump canned foods vs “cuts and gravy”. It is sometimes also referred to as “pate-style”.

Betty – The first 3 ingredients are grains. Actually, the first 4 of 5 are grains, if you count potatoes as grains. I’m not sure about your dogs, but I would avoid cat foods with a formula like that.

Davis – You don’t state exactly what is wrong with menadione. And, the fact that it is required in fish-based cat food leads me to believe it is not harmful to cats.

Does anybody know if menadione is indeed harmful to cats? Blue Buffalo is one of the canned foods I now use for my cats. And, obviously, I want to make sure it doesn’t contain anything harmful to them. (At least as far as the listed ingredients go. Nobody really knows what unlisted ingredients ends up in any of these brands, as we now know.)

Neto April 4, 2007 at 4:22 pm

Does anybody know any good dry foods for cat?

I feed Pet Promise to my cat, but I don’t feel comfortable anymore after I found out that Purina manufactures their products. I liked Pet Promise for its ingredients… So far I haven’t found any safe products that doesn’t have meal in it. Help!

5CatMom April 4, 2007 at 5:11 pm

To Neto,

You might check out Solid Gold’s cat food. Here’s their website:

I’m not an expert, but their ingredients look good. I read on the blog that they don’t make their own food, but there seems to be no perfect food.

Here’s their cat food product description
——————————————————————————–
New Formula! Dry food ideal for adult cats and kittens, to
maintain total health.

Protein, Min 34%
Fat, Min 12%
Fiber, Max 4%
Moisture, Max 10%
Calories per cup, 323

Ingredients
——————————————————————————–
Lamb | Chicken Meal | Millet | Brown Rice | Ocean Fish Meal | Cracked Pearled Barley | Canola Oil | Natural Flavor | Salmon Oil (source of DHA) | Flaxseed | Potassium Chloride | Choline Chloride | Taurine | Dried Chicory Root | Amaranth | Parsley Flakes | Spearmint | Almond Oil | Sesame Oil | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Kelp | Thyme | Blueberries | Cranberries | Apples | Lentils | Quinoa | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Ferrous Sulfate | Zinc Sulfate | Copper Sulfate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Manganese Proteinate | Manganous Oxide | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Manganese Sulfate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

Gary April 4, 2007 at 5:55 pm

Neto – I’ve had great success with Royal Canin brand dry cat food (Light and Mature varieties.) The cats love the taste, and they became visibly healthier and happier when I switched from Nutro Natural Choice, and became visibly UNhealthier when I switched to Science Diet.

But, they do use wheat gluten. And, I’m nervous about buying a new bag, as the wheat gluten could be tainted. So, I’ve been trying some others based on ingredient labels, and disassociation with Menu Foods Income Fund, trying to avoid dry foods from companies who do business with Menu, even though their dry foods are not affected.

So far, I tried Blue Menu Spa Select Light, which they ate, but didn’t really care for. Plus, it’s made of two kinds of kibble, the extruded “meat” kibble and a cold-pressed vitamin kibble. They didn’t eat the vitamin bits at all, which renders that food useless.

I also tried Professional Brand Light/Hairball, which they also didn’t like very much. Next on the list is Chicken Soup for the Soul. The ingrediant list is pretty good. It’s not too expensive either, compared to Royal Canin or Science or even Blue Buffalo. I just hope they like it.

Premium Edge Brand also has a nice ingredient list, and is very reasonably priced. (FYI- Chicken Soup, Professional, and Premium Edge are all Diamond Brands. And, Diamond had their own recall a little over a year ago do to fungus-contaminated corn. I think about 100 dogs died. I didn’t see any cat deaths reported.)

Many people absolutely swear by Felidae as well as the various Natura brands (EVO, Innova, California Natural, Healthwise). They are pretty expensive though, and don’t offer low-calorie formulas. But, once my cats are down to the proper weight, I might switch to one of these. Plus, Natura is a local company for me. If anything happened to my cats because of their food, I can always go over and personally kick their asses.

Barbra Wedge April 4, 2007 at 6:32 pm

Does any body know If Hills Science diet for sensitive stomach is OK? They said Science diet MD. I couldn’t find wheat Gluten anywhere. Thanks

Mary Kelley April 4, 2007 at 6:40 pm

So many have had complaints with various companies about lack of response, etc. Has anyone tried reporting them to the Better Business Bureau?

Neto April 4, 2007 at 6:49 pm

Gary,

Thank you very much for your input! Probably, I’ve been just too picky, but I just don’t wanna take any chances…

Royal Canin – uses Menu Foods
Blue Menu Spa Select Light – They list chicken meal as the second ingredients. I want to avoid any meal or by-products. Also, my other concern is that they don’t disclose their Manufacturer.
Diamond – Nette said on today @7:51 am that Diamond is one of the three manufacturers purchased tainted wheat gluten from China. So, Chicken Soup, Professional, and Premium Edge are all out.
Felidae – Lists Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Lamb Meal in their ingredients. I want to avoid any meal or by-products.
Natura – Wet foods made by Menu Foods. I’m talking about the dry foods here, but I don’t want to associate with Menu Foods.

Gary, I truly appreciate your time and effort. I will have to research more…

Anybody, could you please tell me any good dry cat foods with no meal, no by-product, no wheat gluten, no ingredients from China, no association with Mars, Diamond, or Menu Foods?

Thanks

Harriet April 4, 2007 at 6:52 pm

To Mary Kelly,

The recipe found on cats.about.com sounds like it has too much grains in there, (2 cups of brown rice!). As cats are obligate carnivores, they need a high protein, low carbohydrates diet.

You may find the following site informative, they explained the cat’s nutritional needs and problems that may arised from feeding too much carbohydrates.

Kathy April 4, 2007 at 7:03 pm

Several people inquired whether anyone knew information about Canidae regarding where it’s manufactured. I wrote them to find out, as I purchased a bag of their food for the first time this weekend. This is the letter that I got in response. Hope it helps:

“All Canidae products are produced in the USA. We do not purchase
ingredients from any suppliers outside of the US. All Canidae ingredients
are grown &/or raised in the USA. In addition, we only purchase the absolute
best USDA grade “A” hormone and antibiotic free meats. Our rice is also
grade “A” Pesticide free. Our fish is FDA inspected and passed residual free
of ethoxiquin.

Our cannery is a small facility located in IL and able to produce the
highest quality products. This small family operated facility only produces
products that are of the highest quality human grade ingredients. Our
formulations were created by an outside nutritionist that has been
developing canned foods for over 35 years. You can feel assured by our
quality and product performance that our cannery holds the highest standards
in production, and is regulated by AAFCO by (NRC), USDA, FDA, IDA, EU
Approved and is Organically Certified.

Our dry foods are produced in TX. Our plant has been involved in animal
nutrition for over 75 years. The original pet food extrusion mill was built
in 1978. CANIDAE’s involvement with the plant sparked the introduction of
our own extruder in 1999. Our dry goods facility also regulated by AAFCO by
(NRC), USDA, FDA, TDA and EU Approved. We are currently under production
with a brand new plant at the same facility to keep up with the growth and
demand of our product line.

In order to ensure the highest quality meat based biscuit ever created, we
ventured into the biscuit production business in 2003. Our 100 foot oven
runs our fresh biscuits daily in a building opposite our extrusion plant in
TX. Our biscuits plant is also regulated by AAFCO by (NRC), USDA, FDA, TDA
and EU Approved.

Sincerely,
Team Canidae

Neto April 4, 2007 at 7:04 pm

Hi 5CatMom!

Thank you for letting me know about Solid Gold. I know what you mean by there seems to be no perfect food. I probably have to compromise a little bit, but I want to avoid chicken by product. I’ll continue to research more.

Danielle April 4, 2007 at 7:10 pm

Thanks Kathy!
It’s good to see that your response from Canidae actually matches up with what I’ve seen elsewhere. It still isn’t clear to me if their dry facility is their own or co-packed, but I don’t think Diamond, Menu or any other of the large manufacturers are in TX, so I’m confident that they are independent enough to be a safe choice.

5CatMom April 4, 2007 at 7:22 pm

To Neto,

Yes, I know what you mean about the chicken meal. I tried to call them today to ask about the meal, but their line was busy all afternoon. I was finally able to leave a message.

Kathy’s info about Canidae sounds encouraging. If you find the “perfect food”, please let us all know.

Thanks.

patricia hurley April 4, 2007 at 7:34 pm

I’m cooking for my three dogs. They eat sweet potatoes, carrots, brown rice,
pasta, chicken, turkey etc. The news broadcasters are telling everyone to
jump from one dog food company to another to avoid the recall. That does
not make sense to me! Should you wait till the food you are currently feeding
your dog is on the list? I would think by then it would be too late for your dog.
My thoughts are- feed your pets the best you can now with common sense
natural foods. Avoid certain foods that that are known not to be good for them
and through time you can adjust their diet to work.
Bottom line- you no longer can trust the huge commercially made dog food
companies. I’m learning more and more now what their ingredients is really
made of!

Gary April 4, 2007 at 7:51 pm

Neto – I didn’t know Diamond bought the tainted gluten!!! Thanks for that extrememly important info. (Who is Nette, and where did he/she say this?) Although, it doesn’t list wheat gluten as an ingredient in their higher-end brands, I guess I’d have to worry about cross-contamination.

I’m curious. Can you explain why you want to avoid chicken meal and chicken by-products? Because I thought that chicken by-products were mostly organ meat, which is very healthy for a cat. And, that chicken meal was actually a more highly concentrated nutrition source than whole chicken meat. (I do understand it contains bone, though.)

I’m still looking for a good dry food for my cats, as well. And, now, with Diamond brands out of the running, I can’t imagine being able to find one without by-products or meals.

BTW, in regard to Natura brands, if you go to their website, you can view a video from their president stating that due to this whole Menu Foods Income Fund debacle, they are going to open their own cannery, either by purchasing an existing one, or building one from scratch. Of course, in the mean time, I assume they’ll continue to use MFIF for their canned foods. But, at least they do have plans to drop them. That’s a step in the right direction.

Thanks.

Blissa April 4, 2007 at 8:30 pm

I was checking out the Solid Gold Holistic Dog Food when I came across “Eagle Pack” Super Premium Dog Food, available at Petco. It certainly looks like a viable option. Does anyone have information on this?

I had contacted Pro Pac about their Earthbound Holistic Dog Food and I haven’t heard back from them, after I sent them specific questions about their manufacturing process. So, I’m starting over with Eagle Pack.

Can anyone help??

Here’s a link to Petco’s site:

Previous post: