& dog daycares throughout the USA."> Locate pet sitters, dog walkers, dog runners, & dog daycares throughout the USA.

Dog swallows fish hook, and lives to bark about it

by Therese on August 18, 2008

in Dogs, Pet First Aid

20080818fishdog.jpg

In my pet first aid class I talk about pets who swallow things – shoes, balls, socks – and string. String is a favorite of cats and potentially very dangerous. If the string gets as far as the intestines it can twist around and cause some real damage. For that reason, cat owners are cautioned not to try to pull the string out, but to get the cat to the vet.

Here’s an example of a dog, named Cody, that swallowed a string…but not just any string. This string was actually a fishing line…and on the other end of the line was a fish hook! Can you say OUCH?! Had his owner tugged on the line to try to get it out, it could have been really bad news for little Cody.

It was one fishing trip that almost killed an East Texas man’s best friend. Ed Pauley of Lake O’ the Pines is used to having his dog by his side when he fishes, but last week his four legged friend just didn’t look right. That’s because his dog has swallowed a fish hook.

He is a pint-sized bundle of energy named Cody, barely three pounds, but a familiar site at the Bullfrog marina every weekend with his owner Ed.

[…]

Last weekend Pauley and his friends were fishing off the dock when he looked back and saw fishing line hanging from Cody’s mouth.

“Oh I don’t know really what I thought right then, but I knew I had to get it out,” said Pauley. Cody had swallowed treble hook, or triple pronged hook, which can be deadly for dogs. Pauley rushed him to a Longview vet and after a two hour surgery Cody was back in business.

“He had to have it out, and I’d do anything I could,” said Pauley. For both, the bond between owner and dog is strong.

Read the rest here.

So, the moral of the story is if you see string…any kind of string…hanging out of your pet’s mouth, it just might be time for a visit to the vet!

Technorati Tags: , ,

{ 4 comments… read them below or add one }

Danielle Chonody August 18, 2008 at 10:08 pm

A couple of years ago my step-daughters cat got into the sewing kit and ate some thread. Unfortunately we didn’t see any trace of it and only took her to the vet when she was throwing up all her food. The thread had twisted in her intestine and was blocking her stomach. Poor girl had to have an operation to remove the string – but once it was removed she was good as new. If you have a cat that can’t keep any food down, make sure you get them to the vet!

Reply

Therese August 18, 2008 at 11:13 pm

Poor kitty! Thank goodness you guys saw the thread and were able to get her to the vet in time. I’m glad to hear she’s came through it OK.

Reply

jan August 19, 2008 at 12:32 pm

This is something I’ve never had to be concerned about but thanks for the warning.

Reply

Megan March 17, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Today, my cat swallowed a fishing hook and the line was hanging out of her mouth. Thank god she didn’t fully swallow it and all I had to do was get her to the vet and they sedated her and removed it. It wasn’t fully down her throat. She is doing fine now, but on some medicine!! They told me that had I tried to remove it myself she could have gotten an infection in her gums and it would have been bad news for her teeth. Poor girl!

Reply

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: