First Diamond recalls food, then suspend delivery from one plant, and now they have some key job openings.
The Diamond Pet Food recalls
Diamond has have recalled three foods in recent weeks. These include Diamond Puppy Formula, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Adult Light Formula, and Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal & Rice Formula. See the Diamond Pet Food recall website for more information.
Diamond stops shipment of pet food
Diamond has stopped shipping pet food from their South Carolina plant. When I called this afternoon to confirm this is still the case, I was told that the plant is still not shipping from this location. The other two plants, I was told, are still in production and shipping food.
Diamond posts jobs for Quality Control Technicians
Now they have job openings for quality control technicians at all three of their manufacturing plants. They are the only jobs listed on the Diamond Pet Food Jobs website. It would lead one to think that perhaps their current (or former?) quality control technicians may not be implementing the Diamond Pet Food 151 Quality Checks appropriately. The job openings and recent problems may or may not be related, but it’s quite interesting it’s all happening at the same time.
Here’s how the job descriptions read:
Job Title: Quality Control Technician
Job Number: QCT=03
Location: Gaston, SC
- Must be capable of conducting various tests for incoming ingredients, including sieve, NIR, moisture, and mycotoxin testing.
- Must have interpersonal and communication skills with plant personnel and management
- Must be capable of making critical decisions in the face of adversity
- Must have a basic understanding of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs). Experience with ISO9000 and Food Safety/HACCP is also recommended.
- Work experience in manufacturing and/or chemistry lab testing is preferred.
- Must have basic computer skills and experience using Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, Power Point, Access, etc.
- Must have ability to work under pressure, maintaining a positive, professional attitude with plant personnel and management.
- Must have ability to accept temporary assignment changes to assist other areas of the plant.
- Must have knowledge of the overall operation of the plant.
- Must work in a safe, professional manner at all times.
- Must be capable of accessing all areas of the plant.
- Must be capable of climbing ladders and using stairs to access all areas of the plant.
- Must be capable of lifting bags weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to operate forklifts is preferred.
So, what’s up with Diamond? Whatever it is, I don’t think we’re getting the whole story. If you’re wondering what other pet foods Diamond Pet Foods manufactures, see this post. If I were feeding anything by Diamond, I’d be finding a new food pronto.